Thanks Steve.

It works. BUT it doesn't work if I try and re-name an item. When I click on
an item and select rename (from the Ctrl+click menu) the script doesn't
work.

It only works if I am just selecting the item.

Any ideas?

What I am trying to do is get the modified date of the item and be able to
rename the item by appending the modified date to the end of the filename
(but before the file extension). I was trying to do it using a TypeIt4Me
abbreviation - .e.g so that every time I typed "ytag" the item's modified
date would be returned when I am renaming it.

Steve Kalkwarf wrote:

Keep in mind that there aren't "files" in Yojimbo. If you want
to get the modification date of an "item" in Yojimbo:

tell application "Yojimbo"
    set selectedItem to selection
    set modDate to modification date of item 1 of selectedItem
end tell

EOM