On Apr 5, 2008, at 5:45 PM, Doug Ransom wrote:

On 4-Apr-08, at 3:02 PM, Rich Siegel wrote:

I suggest BareBones consider moving their data store out of the sqlite
database and store Yojimbo entries onto the file system.  The time
machine backups are getting rather large when the whole database is
backed up.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Yojimbo uses Core Data, which is a subsystem supplied by the OS for precisely the sort of data storage needs that Yojimbo has. The fact that Core Data uses sqlite is an implementation detail and is, by design, abstracted away from Core Data clients.

Since Core Data is a fundamental part of the OS, we leave it to Apple to make sure that it plays nicely with other relevant OS components. Since Time Machine is brand new and there are still lots of angles to figure out, I have every confidence that in the long term, Time Machine will evolve as necessary to accommodate the needs of Core Data clients.

From and uses perspective, Yojimbo is clearly missing the need for integration with state of the art backup available in Leopard - files that are changed are backed up. I am really not interested in whether you built Yobjimbo with CoreData and XML and C# and some thread pools or whatever. Leopard has been out a long time.

Doug

Leopard has been out "a long time" ? Less than a year is not a long time, unless you are a toddler.

I suspect you did not read Rich's reply carefully, or you did not understand it. Bare Bones built Yojimbo on top of Apple's technologies. It's reasonable for them to expect that Apple's subsequent technologies would be compatible or will be eventually made to be compatible.

If you aren't interested in reading the answer, why did you ask the question in the first place? You were technologically prescriptive in your question, and then you get angry because their answer is explicit?

I think that Rich's response was appropriate. You are starting to sound like you want a pony.

Thanks

Robert Occhialini