I think my DVD player will do all that except the Progressive-Scan part for digital TV. I guess it has the DTS decoder in the player because I can set it to DTS audio with a DVD and I get a two channel mix from the stereo RCA jack outputs. I'm not really sure though. What I like is that it plays all types of video discs and DVD-R. I've even made a data CD with some mpeg video files and some jpg pics and some mp3 files just tossed on there. My DVD player will start with a file browser that I can select and play them with.  I do need to shop for a good six channel receiver. I use an exceptional Onkyo stereo receiver now and I'm thinking they probably have some six channel models.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, September 25, 2004 7:39 PM
Subject: Re: [Zappa-List] older quad releases by FZ

>Will they play on a DTS equipped DVD player?

Yea, as long as there's a DTS decoder somewhere in the chain, whether it's
in the DVD player itself, or built into the reciever. There's two kinds of
DTS DVD players. One kind will pass the DTS signal digitaly through its
optical output to a receiver that has a DTS decoder built into it. There's
also some DVD players that have the actual DTS decoder built into the
player. They will pass 6 or more analog channels directly to your receiver.
I know you didn't ask for this but, if you are in the market for a new DVD
player, it would be wise to get a combo DVD player. These things will play
the new DVD Audio, SACD, and the DTS discs. Some of them are fairly cheap,
hear's a link to a Pioneer at Best Buy for $130.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1081899794314&skuId=6588882&type=product

Anyway, I would highly recomend getting your 5.1 system set up, they are
lots of fun. There are LOTS of Quad DTS transfers out there, of some really
great classic rock. You haven't lived until you have heard Edgar Winter's
Frankenstein swirling around your room.
Brian

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/jGKolB/TM