Thank you John K. Count me in.
John K (US) << Guy (US) <<

--- In Zappa-List@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> They say that they are going to make some shows available for
download, though this hasn't happened yet.  You can use software to
record the shows which brings me to something I was thinking about
bringing up anyway:
> If there is enough interest in the MOI show at the Fillmore West on
11-06-70, I will offer this up as a vine.  What I did was record the
show as presented on the Vault site, and then edited out the breaks
between tracks to make one continuous show, and then burned it to
Audio CD.

> Please keep in mind that what they are currently presenting on the
site are MP3s, so that's only as good as this CD is going to get. But
until they offer something better, I have to tell you it's pretty
good - especially if you like the Flo and Eddie era Mothers.

> So let me know if there's interest - I'll start the vine off here -
Details below.

> Merry Christmas!
>
> John K
>
> John K (US) << ???
>

> **********************************
>

> Mothers of Invention
>
> Fillmore West
> San Francisco, CA
> 11/06/1970
>
> # of Tracks: 15
> Total Time:  63:49
>
> Have Gun, Will Travel  1:34
> Call Any Vegetable  10:34
> The Sanzini Brothers 2:02
> Penis Dimension  8:05
> The Sanzini Brothers  2:20
> Little House I Used to Live In/Mudshark  4:57
> Touring Can Make You Crazy  2:14
> Would You Like a Snack?  1:39
> Holiday in Berlin  4:07
> Cruisin’ For Burgers  8:47
> Easy Meat  5:19
> **Frank talks to the crowd…** 1:53
> Daddy, Daddy, Daddy/
> Do You Like My New Car?  7:24
> Happy Together  1:07
> Who Are The Brain Police?  1:47
>
> George Duke - keyboards
> Aynsley Dunbar - drums
> Howard Kaylan - vocals
> Jim Pons - bass (actually Jeff Simmons)
> Mark Volman - vocals
> Frank Zappa - guitar, vocals
>
> Like a tidal wave of total weirdness, the Mothers of Invention
splashed down on the Fillmore West for a series of shows in November
of 1970 before washing back into the seedy ocean of L.A., leaving the
landscape forever changed (or at least confused and offended).

> Not to be outdone by the art school drop-outs and buck-skin fringe
contingent then wandering the Sunset Strip, Frank Zappa had been
steadily releasing incredibly strange records since the mid-‘60s.
He abandoned the original Mothers at the close of that decade, only
to reform a different line-up under the same name in 1970, this time
including two members of the Turtles, Howard Kaylan and Mark Volman
(sometimes known as Flo & Eddie due to contractual problems), to help
with Frank’s increasingly bizarre comedy routines and, almost
incidentally, singing.

> The opening set by Boz Scaggs couldn’t possibly have prepared
anyone for what was going to occur that night at the corner of Van
Ness and Market, though it did prove that Bill Graham had a pretty
good sense of humor. Eager to try out material from the upcoming 200
Motels film and accompanying album, the Mothers don’t move in any
one direction for too long; sometimes it’s as if they’re moving
in all directions at once. There are hints of jazz-fusion and
psychedelia, along with Zappa’s beloved doo-wop. They even make a
brief stab at the Turtles’ "Happy Together" as part of the groupie-
baiting sleaze-fest "Daddy, Daddy, Daddy." This is a limber bunch,
but they’re at their best when playing it straight ("Call Any
Vegetable" from Absolutely Free is a prime example). Some songs are
derailed by excessive hollering and dialogue, the delivery of which
suggests the performers are nearly as bored as the audience they’re
baffling. Provoking the crowd, however, is part of the plan and
listening to Frank scold them for their indifference is highly
satisfying for anyone who’s ever stood under stage lights.

> An appreciation for this performance depends entirely on one’s
threshold for long and noodly instrumental explorations accented by
dick jokes. But it can safely be said that no one else was doing
anything quite like this at the time. During an age of weird, Frank
Zappa had the distinction of being the unparalleled weirdest.

__
> Check out the new AOL.  Most comprehensive set of free safety and
across the web, free AOL Mail and more.