I don't see how that would do much good.  Solving cross first would still
make a massive number of cases to try to solve the LL, and then the F2L
would still have a ton.

Perhaps Cross+F2L Edges only > Corners > ELL?  Or even Edges > Corners?

Personally, I'd like to look into Orient Edges > F2L minus final pair >
Final pair+influence or solve LL Corner Orientation > Drastly reduced ZBLL.
With multislotting, this becomes a very, very attractive method.

I think the other route to go would be an L2L4 approach, where the beginning
is simple and we are constantly making the later steps easier, while solving
some other bit.  I have the feeling that you can influence or even solve
some of the later steps while placing the First layer corners, instead of
just doing them alone, like in Duncan's method.  Perhaps that's a source of
improvement?  Couple that with an X cross and you start having some extra
potential.

Block methods are another possible route to explore.  I don't have too many
specific ideas there, except possibly changing the definition of oriented
during the orientation step of Petrus, so that you're left with a 2 gen
finish.

Any thoughts, anyone?

-Mike