On 06-09-18 05:14 Norman Jonas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> could it be that zd1211rw ( kernel 2.6.18-rc4 ) leaves the device in a
> bugged state ? The reason why I think so is that :
>
> - When I power on the computer everything is fine and the driver module
> gets loaded properly
>
> - On every reboot afterwards there are error messages like this
> usb 5-7: device descriptor read/64, error -110
> and the driver doesn't load
>
> - When the device is removed and plugged in everything works fine again
> ( like when powering on ... )
>
> - Another driver ( ndiswrapper ) for the same device works fine under
> all circumstances and never causes the -110 bug.
>
> -> That bug simply starts appears only when zd1211rw has been loaded.
>
> And I am not the only one experiencing it :
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/zd1211-devs@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00293.html
>
> Quote :
>
> "I rebooted my computer with acpi=off and
> didn't start my cpufreq userspace program 'powernowd'. My usb dongle was
> still plugged in and it hasn't been properly initialized at boot time as
> you will see. then i replugged it and everything went fine again."
>
> Note that system configuration ( acpi, pci, apic ) does not influence the
> problem.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Norman

Norman,

yes, I have seen one or two reports like this. So I admit it is
the problem. But I'm not able to reproduce the bug on my
machines.

I had comparable problems a while ago, after removing the kernel
module and inserting it again. I solved it, by inserting
usb_reset_device() in disconnect(). Maybe it has something to do
with it. Could you answer following questions:

1. Does the -110 (ETIMEDOUT) messages appear after the zd1211rw
probe() function has been called or not?

You might need to compile the kernel module with debugging
enabled.

2. If you call rmmod zd1211rw as root before rebooting, do you see
the same problems?

3. Could you check whether the disconnect() of zd1211rw is called
during normal shutdown before the reboot?

Maybe that helps us to debug the issue.

Regards,

Uli

--