Just a quick update - it works now, rather more reliably than the vendor
driver or the ndiswrapper/Windows driver combo did 8-) 8-) 8-)

All I did (as far as I can reconstruct) was using 'wpa_cli' and reassociating
to the access point.  VoilĂ , ping, WWW, NTP, everything seems to work.
Bit rate can also be set now.

Peak transfer speed was about 550 KB/s (on a DSL16000 line, downloading
from ftp2.de.debian.org, which is usually  quite fast).  The comment about
RX performance in http://zd1211.ath.cx/wiki/DriverRewrite makes me hope
this may even improve.

So, please consider this a success report for

    MSI US54SE   zd1211b   0ace:1215   AL2230S

Best regards,

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                 As the air to a bird, or the sea to a
  http://www.bawue.de/~jjk/        so is contempt to the contemptible. [Blake]