> Hmm, do you really need the echo part? current
> wireless-testing/compat-wireless already have the  083a:e501 id.
Well, I didn't find that ID in http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Devices/USB.
Also if I do
   modinfo zd1211rw | grep -i 083a
it doesn't appear. Maybe my module is a little bit old?
   modinfo zd1211rw
gives:
 filename:
/lib/modules/2.6.31-17-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/zd1211rw/zd1211rw.ko
 version:        1.0
 author:         Daniel Drake
 author:         Ulrich Kunitz
 license:        GPL