According to this link
(, you could achieve
the same by installing sqlite3 and performing:

cd .local/share/zeitgeist/
sqlite3 activity.sqlite vacuum

I'll be trying that on the worst of my three Ubuntu machines. On this
one, I tried emptying ~/local/share/zeitgeist and I'm now down to a
couple of seconds for the dash to populate the first time after login.
It's not perfect but it's an improvement.

  Unity dash file search is extremely slow

Status in Unity Files Lens:
Status in Zeitgeist Framework:
Status in “unity-lens-files” package in Ubuntu:

Bug description:
  When I try to use the Unity dash search feature to navigate to files
  and folders, it is extremely slow. For example, if I hit the super
  button to launch the search and then type "Pictures" to get my
  pictures directory, it takes almost 5 seconds for the folder icon to
  show. In comparison, if I use Gnome-Do to navigate to my Pictures
  folder, it's basically instant.

  I have attached a video screencast so that you can see the problem for
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: i386
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.10
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Beta i386 (20110413)
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Package: unity 5.0.0~+bzr1825ubuntu0+611
  PackageArchitecture: i386
   PATH=(custom, no user)
  Tags:  oneiric running-unity
  Uname: Linux 3.0.0-14-generic i686
  UnreportableReason: This is not a genuine Ubuntu package
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to oneiric on 2011-10-14 (99 days ago)
  UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout lpadmin plugdev sambashare