This tweak speeds up things a little for me, thanks!
You can automate it by creating a cron-job, e.g. create a file in
/etc/cron.daily/, name it "cleanupdash" or whatever you want and paste

sqlite3 ~/.local/share/zeitgeist/activity.sqlite vacuum

into it. Save it, change permission

sudo chmod 744 /etc/cron.daily/cleanupdash

and it will auto-execute itself  once every day.

  Unity dash file search is extremely slow

Status in Unity Files Lens:
Status in Zeitgeist Framework:
Status in “unity-lens-files” package in Ubuntu:

Bug description:
  When I try to use the Unity dash search feature to navigate to files
  and folders, it is extremely slow. For example, if I hit the super
  button to launch the search and then type "Pictures" to get my
  pictures directory, it takes almost 5 seconds for the folder icon to
  show. In comparison, if I use Gnome-Do to navigate to my Pictures
  folder, it's basically instant.

  I have attached a video screencast so that you can see the problem for
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: i386
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.10
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Beta i386 (20110413)
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Package: unity 5.0.0~+bzr1825ubuntu0+611
  PackageArchitecture: i386
   PATH=(custom, no user)
  Tags:  oneiric running-unity
  Uname: Linux 3.0.0-14-generic i686
  UnreportableReason: This is not a genuine Ubuntu package
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to oneiric on 2011-10-14 (99 days ago)
  UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout lpadmin plugdev sambashare