Salaam,

We use SVN in our office for version control and will be soon move to Git
or Mercurial.
The version control should be updated as soon as things are changed.
This is because if something wrong happen (machine dead, files deleted etc)
the files from CVS or SVN can be restored.

For RC-n or Gold or Silver (Releases) we usually use Tag or Label, you can
use those too.
When releasing create a tag, label and name it release version.

Regards,