I found your enclosed quotation a particularly helpful reminder not
to get into the mindset of pass/fail regarding spiritual practice.
The key is long-term persistence, and not to be distracted by day to
day feelings and experiences.

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Curt Steinmetz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In a dharma talk contained in the book "Golden Wind", Eido Shimano
Roshi uses the terms
> "honbun" and "shusho". I am wondering if anyone on this list has
any other references for
> these terms - or any kind of "literal" or "metaphorical"
definitions to add to what Eido
> Roshi has to say.
>
> Here is an extended excerpt (it's taken from his talk on case 73
from the Blue Cliff Record
> "Baso, Chizo, Ekai"):
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> The transmission of the dharma does not require any written
documents. The only
> important matter is to understand the real nature of the universe.
In order to do this, it
> will be helpful to understand the distinction between "honbun"
and "shusho". Unless these
> are clearly distinguished, only confusion arises. We have no
perfect English equivalent for
> these words, but perhaps "fundamental" or "essential" will do
for "honbun". For "shusho",
> perhaps we can translate it as "existential" or "ever-changing.
>
> I will use the wind to illustrate the difference between "honbun"
and "shusho". Whether the
> wind is a fragrant spring wind, or a cold winter wind, or just a
gentle wind, after all, the
> iwind is merely a movement of air. Metaphorically
speaking, "honbun" (fundamental) refers
> to this air and "shusho" (existential) is the changing condition
of the wind.

> Our True Nature, our Endless Dimension Universal Nature, was never
created and can
> never be destroyed, as far as "honbun" goes.
>
> In the realm of "honbun", there is no loss, no gain, no birth, no
death, no good, no evil, no
> small, no large. But as far as "shusho" is concerned, as you can
see, there is strong and
> weak, coming and going, deep and shallow. Thus in our zazen we
often feel different
> conditions.
>
> Sometimes we thing, "Today's zazen is not as good as yesterday's."
Or, "I feel guilty
> because my zazen is not as good as it should be." Or, "I am very
pleased that I have
> entered some sound samadhi."
>
> Most of us are fooled by these thoughts. We are controlled by ever-
changing conditions.
> We become slaves of conditions. Realization of Mu (True Nature)
means to realize the fact

http://us.click.yahoo.com/zAINmC/Vp3LAA/i1hLAA/S27xlB/TM