In a dharma talk contained in the book "Golden Wind", Eido Shimano Roshi uses
the terms
"honbun" and "shusho". I am wondering if anyone on this list has any other
references for
these terms - or any kind of "literal" or "metaphorical" definitions to add to
what Eido
Roshi has to say.

Here is an extended excerpt (it's taken from his talk on case 73 from the Blue
Cliff Record
"Baso, Chizo, Ekai"):

The transmission of the dharma does not require any written documents. The only
important matter is to understand the real nature of the universe. In order to
do this, it
will be helpful to understand the distinction between "honbun" and "shusho".
Unless these
are clearly distinguished, only confusion arises. We have no perfect English
equivalent for
these words, but perhaps "fundamental" or "essential" will do for "honbun". For
perhaps we can translate it as "existential" or "ever-changing.

I will use the wind to illustrate the difference between "honbun" and "shusho".
Whether the
wind is a fragrant spring wind, or a cold winter wind, or just a gentle wind,
after all, the
iwind is merely a movement of air. Metaphorically speaking, "honbun"
(fundamental) refers
to this air and "shusho" (existential) is the changing condition of the wind.

Our True Nature, our Endless Dimension Universal Nature, was never created and
never be destroyed, as far as "honbun" goes.

In the realm of "honbun", there is no loss, no gain, no birth, no death, no
good, no evil, no
small, no large. But as far as "shusho" is concerned, as you can see, there is
strong and
weak, coming and going, deep and shallow. Thus in our zazen we often feel

Sometimes we thing, "Today's zazen is not as good as yesterday's." Or, "I feel
because my zazen is not as good as it should be." Or, "I am very pleased that I
entered some sound samadhi."

Most of us are fooled by these thoughts. We are controlled by ever-changing
We become slaves of conditions. Realization of Mu (True Nature) means to
realize the fact
that the fundamental My nature is far beyond good and bad, deep or shallow.
This is
------------------[ end of excerpt]

- Curt