You are not doing it wrong, if you just "attend" to the chakra.

Some people may become overly anxious, trying to "concentrate" on the chakra,
and hoping with "all their might", that something will happen with this
"concentration" is the practice not recommended.  Some other school call this
kind of "really focused concentration", a "one-pointed" focus, which tend to
tense up our mind instead of relaxing it.

In our practice, we are trying to relax our mind at the same time, cultivate
our "chi" and fine-tune our body.  All three in parallel at the same time.
This way, we become spiritually relaxed, bodily healthy and mind-wise
objective.  Get it?

Let me know if you have more questions or experience to share.

Have a ball,

Phillip Rogers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
    Thank you. What is the difference bewteen focusing and observing? I really
do like this practice, but I let my attention rest on this chakra and so I
would like to know if I am doing it wrong.

donald hwong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Every question of yours gives me reasons to update the website.  So please, do
ask. Our site is in beta after all.

1.  Belly breathing inhales into  the belly.  Not a point.  Just the entire
2.  To focus on the navel chakra - begin by visualize the size of a soccer
ball, then a mellon, then an apple.  Just the general area.  After dilligent
practice it will condense itself into the size of a quarter.
3.  At the beginning, one usually experiences heat in that general area.
Because that area is impure, there is friction.  Friction generates heat.  Then
you will sense some flow of energy.  Then also could be vibrations or
rotations.  Just let it happen, observe and don't force it using the mind.  The
mind should be the observer, that is how we get to let go of things by
observing our body as well as in sync with our life force.
4.  Most importantly, it is not "focus", but observe.  Relax and obsere.

We translated this website with a team of 6-8 people.  Our wording is not
consistent.  We still have a lot of work to  do.

Phillip Rogers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Peace Donald,
     I have two more questions. In step four of the belly breathing exercise it
says that you focus your breathing on your belly chakra which is about two
inches behind the belly button. My first question is do you breath the air in
focusing the air into that point? In other words do you pull the air into that
point? And my final question is: how do you know when you have found that
chakra? Or how do you locate it? Sorry to bother you with so many questions,
but I do not really have a teacher to help instruct me. Thank you so much for
the information that you have given me.

donald hwong  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
      Sorry for the confusion, Allen.  Our first step is Purification - purify
the body and the mind.  This is a formulated practice.  After one masters the
formulated practice, then one moves on to formula-less practices.

In the formulated practice, the first step is belly breathing.
After one can breathe with belly automatically (usually three months) then
observe to clean up chakras.

Let me know if you have more question.

Phillip Rogers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Thank you very much Donald I appreciate this information. However, i did not
totally understand what it is talking about with sitting meditation. It
indicates that it is some form of Qi cultivation meditation, but its does not
give any specifics on the practice. Also I thought that doing Qi meditations
like that without the proper supervision could be dangerous. Would you please
elaborate a little more on this practice so I can understand what it is talking
about a little better. Again thank you very much.

donald hwong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Every school is different in practice, though short term effectiveness are
different, similar benefits in the  long run nevertheless.

I can only speak of the practice that I am familiar with.  Here is the link to
my school for your reference.

We are Chan from China, a rare one in the west, with both Motion Zen and
Sitting Zen.

Each of us are here due to our own cause and effect.  So, if you decide to try
this method and having questions, just let me know.

This is me.

Donald - JMJM

Phillip Rogers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Thank you for your warm welcome Bill. Here is a question for the group.
  I have read some things on zazen from this forum and on the internet as well
as in books. when I meditate  I calm myself and allow myself to rest and relax.
For a few moments I do nothing but sit and allow my thoughts and everything to
arise without  attaching myself to them. Then I let my attention rest on my
breath's sensation at the tip of the nose and I follow it in and out to try and
become aware of it. I was wondering if this is an acceptable practice or if I
needed to do something different? In some meditations it says that I need to
rest my aatention in my "hara" or on some visualized point on my forhead as
well as becoming aware of my breathing. This can all be very confusing.
     Would somone please help me by telling me an appropriate way to meditate,
or just please give me some points on practice? It needs to be understood that
where I live I have no Zen teacher but only myself.

Bill Smart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
           Al,  Welcome to the Zen Forum!
  As you can tell by scanning the postings over the past several weeks there
has not been much action except the reason short exchanges prompted by Tony
Wu’s posting.  I hope you’ll feel free to engage whenever there are postings of
interest, and I encourage you to initiate some threads of your own.
  Peace to All too, (except Al (the old one) who needs no peace -  only wu)
        Al (the new one) wrote:
  Peace to All,
Hello everyone. My name is Allen Rogers and I am new to this group
and I look forward to many discussions with you.

Do You  Yahoo!?

Do You Yahoo!?

  Need a quick answer? Get one in minutes from people who know. Ask your
question on Yahoo! Answers.

  Need a quick answer? Get one in minutes from people who know. Ask your
question on Yahoo!  Answers.

  Check out the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta - Fire up a more powerful email and
get things done faster.

The fish are biting.

Be a PS3 game guru.