Hi Bill! (nice to see they let you out on weekends)

  It's still a trick question of sorts (whether intentional or not) because
ultimately it will lead to a pardox (zen and buddhism are the same, but not).
In that sense, I believe zen is different because zen goes beyond the question
and brings us back to our ground of being where the question need not even be
asked. That was the problem the Chinese had with the Indian form of Buddhism
resulting in a more direct form of buddhism.

Bill Smart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
          Ooooooops!

That was not a TRICK question. I meant to ask:

Can you practice zen without being buddhist? If NO, why? If YES,
why?

...Bill!

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Smart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Mike and Guy, Thank you for your responses.
>
> Let me ask this question a different way:
>
> Can you practice zen without being buddhist? If no, why? If not,
> why?
>
> Thanks...Bill!
>
> --- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, mike brown <uerusuboyo@> wrote:
> >
> > The heart of the subject is the same.
> >
> > anatmanwave <anatmanwave@> wrote: ---Same thing, Zen
> comes from Chan from the Chinese, they morphed it
> > from India.
> > Just a matter of semantics but subject is the same.
> >
> > Guy
> >
> > In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Smart" <BillSmart@> wrote:
> > >
> > > What is the relationship, if any, between zen and buddhism?

> > Support the World Aids Awareness campaign this month with Yahoo!
> for Good

 Sent from Yahoo! &#45; a smarter inbox.