Sean,  Sorry for the tardy reply, but I did not get your posting via
email as I normally do.  I logged into the site today and saw your post.

I am not an expert in Vipassana, but I do live in Thailand where
Vipassana is widely practiced and have spent a short time at a
Vipassana training center and believe I do have some knowledge of it
and its teachings.

Your description of Vipassana meditation, '...sitting and not grasping
any thoughts, emotions, experience, etc,...', is also completely
applicable to zazen.  I think it is important, however, to emphasis
that 'not grasping' does not mean 'rejecting' or 'avoiding'.  'Not
grasping' means 'not holding onto', or 'not forming attachments to'
thoughts, emotions, experience, etc...

>From my experiences and observations the major differences between
Vispanna and zen are in the rites and rituals, rather than the
meditation.  Also, as far as I can tell Vipassana does not recognize
mind-to-mind (non-verbal) transmission which goes to the core of zen
teaching.

Hope this helps.  Let me know what you thnk.

...Bill!