There are too many scriptures, masters, terms, speeches already.
Therefore, there are too many interpretations, definitions already in
our mind. Therefore I shall try to use as few known terms as possible.
Just read between the lines with a general understanding will be enough.

Chan is a very simple concept.  It is hard to explain through words,
because it is really a energy domain.  I shall try to illustrate it from
several different perspective.

"There is no original Dharma. No dharma is dharma." - Diamond Sutra.
Visualize a world before the words were available.  There is our world
of plants, humans and animals, etc. They are all being supported by
harmonious life forces.  Because the world seems to be in harmony, some
called it a single life force or universal life force.  This life force
provides equally to all living beings.  Due to cause and effect, some
trees grow taller and some with more leaves.  The life force is somewhat
permanent, while comparatively the living beings are impermanent.  We
coin the term, "form" to all visible living beings and "formless" to all
phenomenon and "true form" to life force.  And the term "dharma" to the
incidence of every formation visible or invisible.

"When we see all form without form, we see Buddha."  - Diamond Sutra
Therefore, "true form" is the actualization/provider/common of all
impermanent forms as well as invisible forms such as anger, greed,
suspicion, etc.  Therefore the world of life force, which is completely
invisible is the true world.  The world of forms and formless is the
impermanent world.  And the world of words, labels, concepts, is the
delusional world.  I believe Zen carries us from the delusional world to
the impermanent world, but does not have the "linage??" to carry us to
the world of true world.

Karma is nothing but a cause created by the collision of two phenomenon
or two forms.  It propagates in the universe until it hits something. To
transcend  the Three Realms to Buddhaland, is to transcend the karma of
body, mind and spirit.  How do we do it then?

As you also know, Chan is a combination of Taoism and Buddhisim.
Following is the Taoist part...

"Any describable Way is not the Way." - Tao-Te-Jing (sounds familiar?)

"Chi - the foundation of Tao." (It is the supporting force of all things
- True Form)
The Taoist term of Chi is a very illusive, abstract and invisible term.
It is in I-Ching, FengShui, Chinese Astrology, Chi-Gong, Martial Arts,
etc.  Almost all Chinese arts are connected with Chi, even calligraphy
and painting.  In short, Chi exists everywhere.   Chi is the universal
life force and it is the "True Form".

We sit to cultivate our internal Chi, then we could sync ourselves with
the universal Chi.  Then we are connected with the True World and True Form.

Chi is something can be practiced and witnessed.  Ask any Chinaman or
martial arts guy.  :-)

Don't judge, categorize, labels.  Don't use our brain.  Just live, in
the world of Chi and support every living thing.  We are all connected
through the common supporter of the universe.

JM