Thanks Mike to summarise so clearly what is the discussion about Bill
and Edgar.

I'm afraid I'm failing to fully understand their both posting due to
both linguistic barriers and technical western psycology terms (In
fact I prefer TNH that explains all these things with very simple
words and great clarity).  Perhaps Edgar is a little easier to be
understood than Bill over this debate between them both. Bill says
things over this long debate that it doesn't make any sense to me
such as when he talks about illusion.  It seems that for him
everything is illusion.  He separates illusion from reality.  And to
me they're not separated.  For instance if I hurt my hand.  I feel
pain and that pain is not illusory as Bill may say.  That pain is
very real.  That pain at that moment is me. If I am angry at those
moments I am the anger.  It's not very realistic to say, "oh well
anger is an illusion and therefore I'm not angry".  While is very
different sitting down with the emotion, breathing in awareness,
feeling the anger, observing it the effect that anger makes in my
body and mind...all the sensations...and then say "This anger is not
me".  Saying in this way illusion and reality inter-relate with each
other. Anger is there but there is also peace there.

If I put myself in the way Edgar understand the law of casualty, then
it makes sense to me.  I think he means that we can choose whatever
we want to be. For instance, While practicing the present moment very
deeply.  I have experienced that sometimes in seconds my mind can
completely change to different emotional states.  Then all that
initial separation from the positive and negative becomes like
together.  As if they were the same!.  I have observed for quite a
while that it's very true that the present moment contains
everthing.  The positive and negative all at once. At those moments
of profound concentration I can realice that I am able to choose
whatever I want to be my mental state. Perhaps Edgar refers to this
when he says that one can change our karma.  But I'm not sure.

Enjoy!
Mayka

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, mike brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Mayka (again!),
>
> Ah, interdependant co-origination! If you can understand this then
you understand Buddhism (in a 'not knowing' kinda way!). And here we
have the crux of the problem (as I see it) between Bill! and Edgar.
Edgar, I imagine, would argue that we can follow the 'rules' of
causality and change our karma by identifying actions or behaviours
now that have a certain (let's say negative) effect further into the
future. By identifying this action/behaviour now we can predict their
future consequences (using the rules of causality) and so change them
accordingly. Bill!, perhaps, will argue that there are is no
causality, therefore no rules of causality and only when you act from
JUST THIS! is 'karma' (a useful, but ultimately an illusionary idea)
extinguished. My apologises if I've misrepresented anyone's argument.

> Mike.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [...]
> >
> > Hi Bill,
> >
> > Funny, I'm looking around me and don't seem to be snared in any
> illusory
> > semantic traps. All there is is the morning light on the Autumn
> leaves!
> >
> > I think it's you who are snared in your own elaborate semantic
net
> here but
> > out of Bodhisattva compassion I'll descend reluctantly to the
realm
> of
> > illusion to help untangle you! :-)
> >
> > All the many questions you ask are answered simply by science and
> common
> > sense which describe causality in the realm of material things,
> i.e. the
> > rules that govern the manifestations of illusion. Who can say why
> they
> > exist, all we know is that they do, and they govern the world of
> illusion.
> > That just needs to be accepted. When we deal with that world we
> must follow
> > its rules. Just because it is illusion doesn't mean it doesn't
obey
> rules.
> > As a successful businessman and a man who has gotten out of the
way
> of
> > oncoming buses for half a century, you have been living by those
> rules all
> > your life and know them well. Impossible to deny them now. Zen
> accepts life
> > in the realm of illusion. Though some minor illusions may vanish
> with
> > enlightenment, the basic illusions of existence remain. The
method
> of Zen in
> > daily life is not to make all illusions vanish but to see and
> experience
> > them as illusion and deal with them in accord with the causal
rules
> which
> > govern them but with the source of our action rooted directly in
> the Tao
> > rather than in particular illusion forms such as desires or
> imaginary
> > suffering.
> >
> > That is Zen in daily life. Deeper Zen with fewer illusions
manifest
> in
> > deepest meditation when all that remains is pure consciousness
> itself devoid
> > of content in the eternally present moment. And finally there is
> the
> > vanishing of all illusion at death, the Nirvana of nonbeing, when
> even
> > consciousness and the present moment vanish.
> >
> > Edgar
> >
> > On Oct 14, 2008, at 7:00 AM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED] org> wrote:
> >
> > Edgar,
> >
> > Thanks. I was expecting (hoping) your answer would be 'events'.
So
> now
> > that you've fallen into my trap I'll proceed knocking off all
your
> pawns,
> > knights, castles, bishops, and finally your queen before I move
on
> > checkmate.
> >
> > Please define 'event' for me, such as:
> >
> > Are there multiple events or only one?
> >
> > If there is only one event, how is any relationship possible?
> >
> > If there are multiple events, are these events synchronous,
> asynchronous or
> > perhaps there are instances of each?
> >
> > Do events have duration?
> >
> > If not, then I assume all events are synchronous - all are
> happening at once
> > - NOW! If so, how can there be any causality?
> >
> > If you claim events have no duration but are asynchronous, what
> separates
> > them?
> >
> > If they do have duration and are asynchronous. ..
> >
> > Do all events have the same duration, or are some events longer
> than others?
> >
> > How can you determine when an event starts and ends?
> >
> > How do you know when one event ends and different event starts?
> >
> > If, as you claim, that some events are in a causal relationship
with
> > others...
> >
> > Are only some events in causal relationships, or do all events
have
> causal
> > relationships?
> >
> > If some events do not have causal relationships, how did they
come
> into
> > being if they were not an effect of a proceeding event?
> >
> > If all events have a causal relationship. ...
> >
> > Do they have causal relationships with only some other events, or
> all other
> > events?
> >
> > If all events have a causal relationship with only some other
> events...
> >
> > Can they have a multiple causal relationship threads with
multiple
> events,
> > or only a single causal relationship thread with a single event?
> >
> > How do you determine if there is a causal relationship between
> events?
> > (This is a BIG question.) Is there a causal relationship just
> because you
> > notice it, or is it a real relationship that exists independent
of
> you, the
> > observer, and your self-interests, prejudices and predilections?
> >
> > If all events have a causal relationship with all other events
> (like Indra's
> > Web, or the chaos theory 'a butterfly flapping its wings in
Brazil
> it part
> > of the cause of a thunderstorm in China', or your references
> to 'ripples in
> > the Tao'), how can you assign any particular event to have been
the
> cause of
> > any other event. In this case designating any preceding event as
> cause is
> > as good as another.
> >
> > In your example of the hitting-the- big-toe event causes the
> feeling-of-pain
> > event, you left out a lot of intermediate events. Hitting the big
> toe
> > crushes nerve endings, that causes an electrical impulse to go
out
> over the
> > nerve fibers, up to the nearest ganglia, then to the spinal cord,
> then to
> > the brain itself which has to then translate the impulse into a
> feeling of
> > pain. And even this doesn't include all the countless events
> involved in
> > each and every electron changing polarity all the way up the
> nervous system
> > to provide the electrical impulse at the brain. Are all of these
> events a
> > chain of causal events? And if so can't you keep going down
farther
> and
> > farther until you VIRTUALLY have an infinite number of events in
> this casual
> > chain? (...assuming as you do that the universe and reality is
made
> up of
> > quanta) And if you do why can't you just view these as REALLY an
> infinite
> > number events which means they are not a chain of events at all,
> but one
> > single eternal 'event'. (...assuming as I do that the universe
and
> reality
> > is actually analog).
> >
> > Okay, those are my moves. By my calculations you still have your
> queen
> > left, but it's seriously on the run. It's your turn now...Bill!

One
> follows
> > inevitably upon the other in all normal circumstances. That's
> causality.
> > It's the rules that govern the realm of illusion, the realm of
> forms.
> > Because something is ultimately illusory doesn't mean it follows
no
> rules
> > and is totally random and arbitrary. Quite obviously the daily
> world of
> > illusion follows the rules of common sense and science as they
> describe
> > particular causes and effects (though not scientist's views of
> ultimate
> > reality of course where Zen is correct).
> >
> > The 'things' that stand in causal relationships are particular
form
> patterns
> > abstracted or discriminated from the whole flow of process or
Tao.
> It is
> > particular form patterns which do in fact tend to occur in
> repeating causal
> > sequences and that facilitate effective volition in the world of
> forms. (By
> > that I mean that organisms discriminate forms whose causal
patterns
> they can
> > understand so as to be able to function successfully in the world
> of forms.
> > E.g. If a hammer hits my toe I feel pain, therefore I don't hit
my
> toe with
> > a hammer.) Those 'things' are normally referred to as 'events' of
> course.
> >
> > Edgar
> >
> > On Oct 13, 2008, at 8:28 PM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED] org> wrote:
> >
> > Edgar,
> >
> > Thanks for your response, although it's far from satisfying for
me.
> I could
> > go on with this discussion from the exchanges below, but I think
> we've
> > started in the middle and both have a lot of assumptions that we
> may not
> > fully share. If we're going to have a discussion on causality,
and
> I hope
> > we are, I'd like to get a clarification from you before we start:
> >
> > Causality to me is a term for the concept of cause and effect. I
> believe
> > cause and effect is illusory and you are stating that it is not.
> You say
> > the our concept of cause and effect is a reflection of a
mechanism
> of cause
> > and effect that exists in what you've referred to as the real
> physical
> > world. Causality presumably describes a specific type of
> relationship. A
> > relationship implies that there are at least two 'things' to
relate.
> > - Do you agree with the above three sentences? If not, how would
> you define
> > causality?
> > - If you do agree, or agree close enough to continue, what would
> you call
> > these 'things' that allegedly have a cause and effect
relationship?

> > ...Bill!
> >
> > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ps.com[mailto: Zen_Forum@ yahoogrou
ps.com]
> On Behalf
> > Of Edgar Owen
> > Sent: Monday, October 13, 2008 7:25 PM
> > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ps.com
> > Subject: Re: [Zen] consciousness
> >
> > Hi Bill,
> >
> > Great questions.
> >
> > Take a hammer and whack your toe. I guarantee it will hurt like
> hell.
> > Causality is proven. QED. Doesn't matter whether you have satori
or
> not.
> >
> > The point is that the world of forms, of illusion, does obey
> consistent
> > rules, causality among them. Just because the physical world is
> illusion in
> > an ultimate sense and merely empty forms doesn't mean that it
> doesn't
> > operate according to consistent rules. The fact that the hammer
> hurts both
> > my and your toe means that the rules are shared to some extent,
> that we have
> > similar, but certainly not identical, cognitive constructs of the
> physical
> > world. Therefore we can assume that the physical world may in
fact
> exist
> > independent of both of our existences though we can never
> experience that
> > directly.
> >
> > Yes, the cognitive constructs of consciousness are what illusion
> is, just
> > another name for the same thing from a different perspective.
> >
> > Yes, our concept of causality is a construct of our
consciousness,
> [...]
> On Behalf
> > Of Edgar Owen
> > Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2008 8:53 PM
> > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ps.com;SPACETIMEand CONSCIO
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ps.com
> > Subject: Re: [Zen] consciousness
> >
> > Anthony,
> >
> > Not quite. What I'm saying is that consciousness and the material
> world are
> > identical. Consciousness is observer dependent perspectives on
the
> material
> > world from the POV of particular observers and events. Each of
these
> > consciousnesses is all that exists for the particular observer
(all
> is
> > consciousness only). Our concept of a material world is simply a
> cognitive
> > construct of our consciousness, however that construct seems
> consistent and
> > sharable thus we may assume it has an independent existence
beyond
> our
> > particular consciousness though we of course can never actually
> confirm that
> > because we can never step outside of consciousness.
> >
> > Not easy to explain or perhaps understand.
> >
> > To address your questions: Replace Karma with causality. Karma
has
> moral
> > implications that are unsubstantiated. Causality though does
exist
> and
> > provides the rules which make our conscious perspectives and
> material world
> > view cognitive constructs consistent. Thus causality does govern
> what
> > happens in the world of forms.
> >
> > As to when we die, the answer is that when you die your
> consciousness stops
> > and your body decays (my perspective) . On the other hand I can
> never
> > experience death since death is the end of experience.
> >
> > Hope that helps,
> > Edgar
> >
> > On Oct 11, 2008, at 11:00 PM, Anthony Wu wrote:
> >
> > Edgar,
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > You seem to say that the world is nothing but universal
> consciousness.
> > Material objects and all kinds of living beings are just
> manifestations
> > (contents) of the universal consciousness. Maybe I am wrong, but
> that is an
> > interesting philosophical discussion.
> >
> > Whether or not it is relevant to zen, I would like to know the
> practical
> > aspects of your theory:
> >
> > -   Does karma work in the universal consciousness, or whatever
you
> call it?
> > -   When we die, do we just merge into the universe and lose our

same 'stuff'
> of human
> > consciousness just in a different form particular to the material
> it is
> > associated with. I.e. a human has human type contents in this
> consciousness
> > stuff and a molecule has molecule type contents of it. That's
> probably not
> > very clearly stated but the idea is that the interaction of all
> matter with
> > other matter amounts to matter's experience of matter which is
what
> the
> > causal process of reality that continually flows through the
> present moment
> > with clock time is. That same flow is experienced as human
> consciousness by
> > humans, and mouse consciousness by mice as the details, the
> contents of
> > consciousness, depend on the different biological and cognitive
> structures
> > of mice and men while the phenomenon of consciousness itself as
> opposed to
> > its details is common to both mice and men, and in fact
everything
> in the
> > universe.
> >
> > So the contents of consciousness will be different for each being
> and the
> > contents are the forms that arise in consciousness itself which
are
> > illusion. Whereas consciousness itself, that in which the
contents
> of
> > consciousness arise is the same for everything in the universe.
It
> is simply
> > the physical reality of the present moment. So tuning into the
pure
> > consciousness itself, devoid of its contents, is Zen, or satori
> since the
> > content forms which are the veils of illusion are no longer
present
> and do
> > not distract from consciousness itself.
> >
> > But of course the contents do persist in the material world and
so
> the trick
> > is to continually recognize these contents for what they are,
> contents of
> > pure consciousness, ripples or disturbances in the field of
> consciousness
> > itself, so that one doesn't get entangled in the individual forms
> but always
> > sees them as contents of the underlying pure consciousness
itself.
> The forms
> > themselves have no real substance since they are just ripples or
> > disturbances in what would be the perfect stillness of
> consciousness itself
> > devoid of any forms or ripples.
> >
> > Hope that makes it a little clearer.
> >
> > As to the OBE, I really haven't felt I had to explain it. It was
> just
> > something that happened. In my view it is a fundamental mistake
> think
> > consciousness is located or centered in the physical body, since
> everything
> > we see and experience is actually happening in our own head and
the
> idea of
> > an individual 'self' is just a cognitive construct, so that
> cognitive
> > construct can subjectively locate its concept of observer
anywhere
> it wants,
> > at least temporarily. In that view 'our' consciousness
continually