I've thought some more about my problrm with getting into arguments on the
internet. I think that the internet has fueled a certain type of ugliness in
arguments, with its tendency towards short comments that snipe at miniscule
errors in one's posts. I want to walk away, and yet I hate the idea of the
bullies winning the argument.

I find that in religious discussions the "internet atheists" (a specific term
for these type of arguers, not all atheists) tend to crowd out people who want
to sincerely discuss religion on particular forums, so I get frustrated.

But here's where the ego comes in. Obviously, there is ego involved in winning
an argument, but there is also some ego in leaving. I feel like I'm saying "i'm
taking my ball and going home."

As well, i'm very insecure about my beliefs, and I feel like I'm somehow not
worthy of my arguments. How does insecurity relate to ego, or is that a
completely different question?