About filling your head with too much "muddle":
I've always been a worrier. I adopted reading as a coping mechanism, and
eventually started working my way through the Sherlock Holmes collection.
When confronted by Dr. Watson about the limits of his general knowledge (his
knowledge is all specialized towards being a detective, with one exception:
playing the violin), he likens the mind to an attic. An attic only has limited
space - so he chooses his knowledge carefully, so as not to "clutter up" his
"mind-attic" with useless knowledge.
I found it a terrific analogy, and it seemed to help me to realize that
remembering everything is not necessary, nay, it is detrimental to your working
mind. So now I don't feel so guilty about letting go of some useless knowledge,
when I realize that it's happened.  :D

~Audrey