From: audreydc1983 <>
Subject: [Zen] Re: Zen and the Brain
Date: Thursday, 28 October, 2010, 0:37

When I tried to quit smoking (for the 5th time), I succeeded.
What worked for me:
I held my fingers up to my lips, as if I had a cigarette between them. I
inhaled through my fingers, as I would have with a cigarette. I did that for
5-10 minutes, every time I thought I "needed" a cigarette.
I used to smoke primarily when I was stressed, anxious or nervous. The deep
breathing between my fingers helped a great deal. Deep breathing might be what
got me "hooked" on cigarettes when I started smoking.
I looked pretty weird for a while, breathing through my fingers like that (just
imagine the looks I got in traffic! LOL). But, as time went on, I found that I
did it less and less - an eventually stopped breathing through my fingers
altogether. I found, later, that I started to breathe deeper on my own - I
didn't need to use my fingers against my lips as a cue.
I didn't use patches, or gum - just deep breathing. That's what solved the
problem for me...although it might not work for someone else, it's definitely
worth a shot. :)

Brightest Blessings!