--- On Thu, 13/1/11, Chris Austin-Lane <ch...@austin-lane.net> wrote:

Practice doesn't change the nature of what living is.
MEL: It doesn't change the conditions out there, but we can change from within
according to the BigMind, which is always in operation. For example, I was
really dying for KFC tonite, but decided to put up with all the dualistic
cobwebs of desire...and went home to eat what's there(which was more healthy)

The BigMind is always there, and sufficient by itself. It's like a pure,
pristine rainforest untampered by Man. I'm sure Tarzan and Mowgli know about
this very well. When unhealthy desires(not just bad food) lead us, then the
BigMind becomes insufficient. When we keep the BigMind, then all the precepts
stay automatically, and everything falls into place. Lose the BigMind, and we
lose all precepts..and we lose ourselves to dualism
On days when I've sat in zazen, I say things I wish I hadn't, get crabby, stub
my toe, make typos, drop dishes, etc., etc., just like on days when I
have avoided sitting in zazen.
MEL: That's because Homo Sapien is not perfect. We've been endowed with lots of
bells and whistles that other living things haven't been. Struggle is part of
that human quality. But...we strive, and strive some more, until the effort
disappears...and there only is..

peace be with you
Mel