From: SteveW <eugnostos2...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Zen] Is Chan Buddhist?
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, 28 January, 2011, 2:31 AM

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Brett Corbin <brettalancorbin@...> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
> Thank you for taking the time to explain that to me.  I find it interesting.
> Are people who practice Zen generally atheist, or do they see God just in a
> different way then other religions, or do people who practice Zen have all
> different types of view concerning the subject of God, and there practice has
> nothing to do with there belief in God or not?
>
> Brett
> http://www.pbase.com/brett1963

Well, Brett, I can't answer that. Zen isn't a set of beliefs.
Zen is "looking deeply". If you want to know what sugar tastes
like, you must put some in your mouth! If what you really are
asking me is "Can I practice Zen while still having some concept
of God?", then I would say yes. Just don't mistake your personal
metaphysical philosophy for Zen. For example, I happen to endorse
the philosophical view-point of Monistic Idealism, but I don't
confuse my philosophical opinions with Zen.
Steve