Anthony, I don't deny his existence or the beauty of the estate from which I first discovered the star. I just deny that the star is proprietary part of the estate.
...Bill! --- In [email protected], Anthony Wu <wuasg@...> wrote: > > Bill, >  > I am sad that after inheriting an estate from your father, you even deny his > ever existence. >  > Anthony > > --- On Fri, 2/9/11, Bill! <BillSmart@...> wrote: > > > From: Bill! <BillSmart@...> > Subject: [Zen] Re: Mahayana > To: [email protected] > Date: Friday, 2 September, 2011, 5:07 PM > > >  > > > > Anthony, > > I guess I need to explain again what I mean when I use the term 'zen'. For me > 'zen' (lower-case 'z') is just the act of realizing Buddha Nature. Zen > (lower-case 'z') practice is the practice of integrating Buddha Nature more > and more fully into your everyday life. That's what zen is to me. > > I do deny that zen developed from Mahayana Buddhism. I don't deny that Zen > Buddhism developed from Mahayana Buddhism, or that it can be considered a > sub-set/sect of Mahayana Buddhsim. > > Zen is not Buddhism. It is not dependent in any way on Buddhism. Zen existed > long before Siddartha Buddha. It has existed as long as Buddha Nature has > existed, and that has existed at least as long as there have been sentient > beings. > > Zen (lower-case 'z') is not like an estate I inherited from my father > (Buddhism). Zen (lower-case 'z') is like a star in the sky. My father > (Buddhism) may have deed to an estate from from which you can have a good > view of the star. He may claim to own the star, but he does not. There are > plenty of other places (Christianity for example) from which you can see that > star even though some views are more clearer and unobstructed than others. > > ...Bill! > > --- In [email protected], Anthony Wu <wuasg@> wrote: > > > > Bill, > > à> > Whether zen is a subset of Buddhism is another matter, but you cannot deny > > that zen has developed from Mahayana Buddhism. Just like with an estate > > from your father, you can do whatever you like after receiving it, even > > against his will. The core idea of Buddha nature is put forward in > > Lankavatara Sutra for the first time. On the other hand, I don't think out > > of any Christian teachings can arise zen. > > à> > Anthony > > > > --- On Thu, 1/9/11, Bill! <BillSmart@> wrote: > > > > > > From: Bill! <BillSmart@> > > Subject: [Zen] Re: Mahayana > > To: [email protected] > > Date: Thursday, 1 September, 2011, 9:42 AM > > > > > > à> > > > > > > > JMJM, > > > > I do consider zen my practice. > > > > I acknowledge that most people classify it as a subset/sect of Mahayana > > Buddhism, but I do not consider zen a subset of or co-dependent on > > Buddhism. In fact I consider zen the core Buddhism was built around - like > > a cultural-specific presetation layer. > > > > I can't speak for those that consider themselves Mahayana Buddhists, but my > > practice consists of shikantaza (clear-mind meditation) which is usually > > associated with zazen (seated meditation) but can be practiced any where at > > any time under any conditions. I sometimes refer to that state of > > clear-mind (or no-mind) as 'Buddha Mind'. My personal practice is to > > incorporate Buddha Mind more and more into my daily life. > > > > The core teaching of my zen practice is 'Just THIS!. > > > > ...Bill! > > > > --- In [email protected], Jue Miao Jing Ming - > > èæúÃ¥æââ¢Ã§Ã²Ã¾Ã¦ÃÅ"à ½ <chan.jmjm@> wrote: > > > > > > Dear Forum, > > > > > > Do you consider "Zen/zen/your practice" a Mahayana practice? If so, how > > > does Mahayana actually practice? What is its core teaching? > > > > > > Thank you in advance, jm > > > > > > -- > > > Learn the Basics of Chan Meditation... > > > http://www.chan-meditation.org > > > Chan in everyday life... > > > http://www.chanliving.org > > > To be enlightened in this life... > > > http://www.heartchan.org > > > To save our world... > > > http://www.universal-oneness.org > > > > > > ------------------------------------ Current Book Discussion: any Zen book that you recently have read or are reading! Talk about it today!Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: [email protected] [email protected] <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: [email protected] <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
