Bill,

What "you" (one) receive(s) by way of training depends on who you study with.

I have felt for long that the western successors of Japanese teachers were 
beginning to really water-down the practice, and its integrity.  (It will 
bounce back after a few generations, I suspect.  The world is in no hurry, if 
you haven't noticed; and, Darwinism operates in all quarters).

I've practiced with both American and Australian successors of Japanese 
teachers; and, with original Chinese teachers.  I feel more at home with the 
latter, and I find more awakenings happening in their midst than in the 
formers's midst.  It's *very* clear.

What I offer is only one man's "take"; but I have been around a bit in the past 
35 years of formal practice, and I thank my lucky stars.

What I see as most destructive to the integrity of Zen practice is the western 
psychologization of the underpinnings of the tradition.  The Jungian stuff 
imposed by Jungian Analysts who are also dharma heirs of earlier Western 
teachers or Japanese teachers is especially worrying to one who has a hope for 
Western Zen practice following Japanese lines.  But, again, that line may 
regain health in a few generations.

This is why I follow exclusively Chinese lines, and help to give them a push.  
If a Western successor of a Japanese teacher needs a push, I will be sure to 
push him or her too, especially gladly, and quickly retreat for ever.

This emphasis is mine, it's not for everyone.  I bear no enmity; only amity for 
closest folks, no matter who taught them.

Cheers; strong practice!,

--Joe

> "billsmart" <BillSmart@...> wrote:
>
> This is an interesting article by Dosho Mike Port about what he sees are
> the benefits and detriments the Western Baby Boomers have made to zen
> culture.



------------------------------------

Current Book Discussion: any Zen book that you recently have read or are 
reading! Talk about it today!Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to