--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Joe"  wrote:

> ...and, Carl,
>
> Heterodoxy is fine by me, too.  Have at it if that is your ken.
>
> I only write about Zen as I know it, which is Zen as it is practiced, and
> realized.
>
> I'm a practitioner.  You too?
>
> Mostly, I speak about practice and its upshot, and not much about theory.
> But I'm game for theory, anytime.  I know that Madhyamika and Yogacara inform
> Zen philosophy, to the extent that there is any.  Ch'an and Zen is not the
> Teaching School, as you know.

I don't personally believe Zens origins have much to do with Buddhism, as far
as I know it originated later and outside India. So my inclination would be to
look at actual roots, not later adaptations.
An atheist materialist can be a Buddhist as well.

> But I'm off topic in this thread, about that.  Just a heads-up.
>
> They say it doesn't take just one to ruin a forum topic's flow, it takes two.
>  There are 400 here who may also be as interested in your info as I am.
>
> Don't -- Please don't -- take an easy-out, and clam-up about the
> 'Illuminati'.  I use the inverted commas until you substantiate something.

I don't believe anything can substitute personal experience. But for what it's
worth I believe they have written some books in something of a recruitment
drive, the numerous ones by William Walker Atkinson in the main deal with
techniques for mental domination for personal gain. Alice Bailey also mentions
a mind control technique called "overshadowing" in her books, and has written
something about their agenda in "Externalization of the Hierarchy". Benjamin
Creme is one of their spokespersons today. I still believe you are hostile to
the subject (as it dos not fit your view of Zen, and general prejudice), so I
am disclined to discuss this further.