joe..check net for optimum growing conditions....merle
  
Siska,

Humidity is going to be very hard to arrange here.  The other day, 
officially-measured humidity was 3 percent.  But it's Spring, and warm, and 
very dry.  From July 4 until about Sept 30, we have a humid summer, after our 
dry summer (we have 5 seasons).  That is our summer thunderstorm "monsoon" 
season.  The trees may do very well, then.

I'll start them in pots, and maybe keep them indoors for a few years.  Maybe I 
can train one or two of them also as "Bonsai".

At this elevation we get frost in winter, on a few days.  It's easy to cover 
sensitive plants and trees at that time, like my Citrus.  Or the Kapok trees 
could be safe indoors at that time.  I'll see how it goes!

I'd like to get them to the point where they will flower and make seeds, so I 
can harvest the fiber for meditation cushions, year after year.

I understand that the wood is soft: do you know about the wood?  I think that 
some furniture is made of it.  And canoes are hollowed out of big logs?

I'll check out what they do in Baltimore.  That's interesting!

Thanks!, and all the best to you,

--Joe

> siska_cen@... wrote:
>
> Hi Joe,
> 
> Don't forget humidity, it's very humid here. Also the temperature range 
> between night and day is only a few degrees, unlike in deserts.
> 
> Baltimore's Aquarium has mini rainforest as part of their exhibit. Funny to 
> find tropical vegetation (and animals) at the top of aquarium in the northern 
> hemisphere. If maybe you could check with them how to provide the conditions 
> for tropical tree to grow where you are.


 

Reply via email to