Merle,

If you couldn't survive Jakarta and Thailand (I simply assume you meant
bangkok), then I guess it was a good decision you did not proceed to India. But
you missed Bodh Gaya, one of the most impressive places I ever been.

Why I came to zen was nothing special. I have had meditation practice with
other traditions for a while before I had a chance to attend a session with Guo
Jun fashi, disciple of Joe's teacher. Around the same time, I came to like
koans more and more. Inexplicably, they make more sense to me than the Suttas
(the Pali Suttas). So, I joined this forum to learn more about zen.

I'm not sure if I could call myself zen, but looks like my current practice is
similar to Bill's description of zazen and shikantaza.

SiskaMerle Lester <merlewiit...@yahoo.com> wrote:

siska..i spent 2 weeks here... see link..t
his is were i bought the artwork...
yes  indonesia was very colourful..and vibrant as i said in previous post
 however the extreme poverty made me "ill"..
i am unable to witness people suffering..
the plan was to go forward to burma and india after thailand however the
poverty and suffering  was too much for me to bare..
plus i was at 28 pregnant with my first child..
so it was off to london..and roast beef with all the trimmings..i was so so
craving for western food ..
now i am totally addicted to asian food especially chinese...
oh i spent 2 weeks in singapore in 1974 as well...
what is your story if i maybe so bold to ask and how did you come about to be
"zen"?...
merle

http://www.javafred.net/rd_sriwahnyi_1.htm