"Falling 'victim' to this world" may apear to be a trap, or a frenzied game of in and out like 'Whack-aMole', or some twisted Fun House mirror maze - but how else can this appear? ;)

Seeking to escape such appearances, to seek to only have personally preferable experiences, is what Siddhartha Gotama called "desire". Folks here have read enough on where that leads.

Worldly preferences for vanilla vs. chocolate, or black robes vs. yellow, or boys vs. girls - are of no concern as temporal enjoyments experienced as they present -they are aspects of the persona (mask) - unless there is attachment - by which I mean you experience some love/hate toward them. Same goes for pain/pleasure. These all arise naturally. It's what else comes up in response that seems problematic - but only this can offers us insight into our presumed and self-generated predicament.

Grasping and rejecting what presents, which along with/and reinforcing ignorance of our true nature, form 'The Three Poisons'. Thus many who are attached to developing better/higher/more spiritual selves, to any personal attainment, seal their fate as surely as the most profane 'sinner'.

That is not to say don't do 'spiritually' oriented things, but rather not to be beguiled by them. Spirit is expression, not collection. Holy/Spiritual Ego is the most deceptive of all its disguises, and is always passing the plate asking for more (devotion, practice, mindfulness, whatever).

The best you can do is remember? This is not mindfulness. Memory is a habit. Attachment to/dreams of reviving the dead. Pure delusion.

Forgetting is little better. Rejection of same empty baggage (3 Poisons - again).

Simply laugh, or cry.

KG

PS - Buddha said Karma is intention. I'd add that Suffering is expectation. Two sides of same worthless coin. Whatever troubles you - simplify your inquiry by first looking into your intentions and expectations. They're the Yin/Yang of self-delusion. Nothing against using the imagination for planning and reflection - but things get sticky all too easily as soon as we begin to believe any of it.

Non-attachment, is not detachment. It is the cessation (effortlessly - by realization, not effort) of the delusional cycle of attachment and rejection. Only this allows direct engagement - and vice versa.

Rambling again, more words only makes a mess. Edit the above to just the first two lines of the PS - as that contains the rest.