Hi Martin

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Martin Lucina <m...@kotelna.sk> wrote:
> matt_weinst...@yahoo.com said:
>> > In my opinion the proper solution is to use the same semantics as the
>> > close() system call, in other words, zmq_close() shall invalidate the
>> > socket from the caller's point of view so no further operations may be
>> > performed on it, but 0MQ shall send any outstanding messages in the
>> > background *as long as a endpoint for those messages still exists*
>> > before
>> > destroying the socket "for real".
>> >
>> Would this be logical to implement as a new zmq_setsockopt() option?
>
> Ultimately the semantics will *have* to change if 0MQ sockets would be
> integrated into the OS.
>
> If your primary priority is backward compatibility, then yes, the "new"
> behaviour would have to become a socket option. I'm not convinced that
> keeping incorrect behaviour for the sake of backward compatibility is a
> good idea and my view is that the current behaviour is definitely incorrect
> in the long run.

Is it time to layout a road-map document and start a zeromq3
development branch on GitHub? This should be where changes that break
backwards compatibility will go and can take shape for the next
generation of 0mq.

I realize the following is known by everybody, but there seems to have
been some confusion at times still.

" In principle, in subsequent releases, the major number is increased
when there are significant jumps in functionality [breakable], the
minor  number is incremented when only minor features or significant
fixes have been added [non-breakable], and the revision number is
incremented when minor bugs are fixed." [1]

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning