Ronald,

You can use netstat. You're using windows, right?
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/netstat.mspx?mfr=true

As for debugging your code, can you paste the code into a paste bin or
gist.github?
Try this for instance: https://gist.github.com/
You omit out any code that is proprietary if this for work or research.

After you check your ports, you should think about whether the order in which
ports are being opened is an issue. For instance, your forwarder device binds
the outgoing port, but what if the  receiver thread starts before the device?

--
Cornelius Toole
Sent with Sparrow (http://www.sparrowmailapp.com)