On 28/04/16 2:23, Doron Somech wrote:
Regarding the existing files, I think we have two options:
* Upload all to github, I can make a script that will make it simpler
* Use Amazon S3, I think it will very cheap, maybe even for free, I can
take care for that as well.

AFAICT, uploading the binary release artefacts to GitHub, results in GitHub storing them on S3 (at GitHub's expense). Given the source repositories are on GitHub, I think that'd be my default choice for the existing files.

Thanks for the offer to help with scripting uploads of the existing files. I think the main "hard" bit (ie, require a human) left would be figuring out which commits to put the release tags on, so that they match up with what is in the tarballs. Maybe someone else can help with identifying those commits?

Directly using S3 is worth considering, but I think at best it would be free for 1 year:

https://aws.amazon.com/free/faqs/

"5 GB of Amazon S3 standard storage, 20,000 Get Requests, and 2,000 Put Requests*"

has the little star that means "available for 12 months following your AWS sign-up date'. So going the S3 route would mean finding some way to fund it on an on-going basis. It's relatively cheap (https://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/), but not free ($0.03/GB for storage/month, plus $0.09/GB for transfers to the Internet; at a guess less than a few dollars a month, but having to be paid every month).

Ewen

PS: Re http://www.zoobab.com/github-sucks-wget-unfriendly, the issue seems to be the URL structure doesn't have the filename at the end. Annoying, undesirable, but IMHO, not a fatal reason not to use it. It'd perhaps be better to lobby GitHub to change their URL structure to end in the original filename and/or a simulated final filename; it should be a relatively simple change for them.