On Wed, 2018-02-14 at 00:17 -0500, John Lane Schultz wrote:
> Hi Luca,
>
> Thanks for the update.  I was holding out hope that someone might
> have taken a crack at it already.
>
> Yes, TLS is a pretty complicated protocol that supports tons of
> different cipher suites and options.  I certainly wouldn’t recommend
> reimplementing the protocol natively inside 0MQ.
>
> I’m just curious about how hard it would be for 0MQ to use (and
> expose) a D/TLS implementation instead of TCP / UDP?
>
> I’m guessing the primary obstacles would be dependence on an external
> D/TLS library (which maybe could be addressed with conditional
> compilation), how to have a simple 0MQ API that exposes the
> functionality / configurability of the D/TLS transport, and possibly
> objections to the security models (e.g. - X509 certs, CAs, HMAC then
> encrypt, etc.) of TLS itself.
>
> Thanks,
> John

We already support a number of optional transports that require
external libraries, like PGM and NORM, so that would not be a problem.
If anyone wants to implement it, they would be most welcome.

In terms of difficulty, plugging in a new transport is not simple
plug&play but neither is too hard - apart from the new mechanism
subclass, which should be not too difficult as the interface is fairly
small, it would need some changes in a few other places - with those we
can help eventually.

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi