Dick Davies wrote:
On 17/08/06, Lori Alt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Dick Davies wrote:

> That's excellent news Lori, thanks to everyone who's working
> on this. Are you planning to use a single pool,
> or an 'os pool/application pool' split?

Thus I think of the most important split as the "os pool/data pool"
split.  Maybe that's what you meant.

That's it, yes :)
I should probably have said service rather than application.

...... limitations
in the boot PROMs cause us to place restrictions on the devices
you can place in a root pool.  (root mirroring WILL be supported,
however).

Does boot prom support mean this will be SPARC only? That's
interesting (last time I tried Tabriz' hack, it was x86 only).

No, zfs boot will be supported on both x86 and sparc.  Sparc's
OBP, and various x86 BIOS's both have restrictions on the devices
that can be accessed at boot time, so we need to limit the
devices in a root pool on both architectures.

Or is x86 zfs root going to need a grub /boot partition on one
of the disks?

On x86, each disk capable of booting the system (which means each
disk in a root pool) will have grub installed on it in a disk
slice which occupies the first few blocks of the disk.  It's not
the same as the old /boot partition, because all the slice
contains is grub.  It doesn't contain a file system.

Lori