Torrey McMahon wrote:
Lori Alt wrote:

No, zfs boot will be supported on both x86 and sparc.  Sparc's
OBP, and various x86 BIOS's both have restrictions on the devices
that can be accessed at boot time, so we need to limit the
devices in a root pool on both architectures.

Hi Lori.

Can you expand a bit on the above? What sort of limitations are you referring too? (Boot time? Topology?)

The limitation is mainly about the *number* of disks
that can be accessed at one time.  If we were going to
support booting off a set of disks in a RAID-Z
configuration, the early boot code would have to
read some blocks from one disk, and then some blocks
from another disk, and so on.  There are difficulties
doing that when using the capabilities of OBP
or the BIOS to do I/O.  (and if you want me to be more
specific about what THOSE difficulties are, I'd
have to get someone who knows more about BIOS and
OBP to answer the question.)  But with straight
mirroring, there's no such problem because any disk
in the mirror can supply all of the disk blocks needed
to boot.

lori