On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, Will Murnane wrote:

On 6/15/07, Ian Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Alec Muffett wrote:
> 2) I've considered pivot-root solutions based around a USB stick or
> drive; cute, but I want a single tower box and no "dongles"
You could buy a laptop disk, or mount one of these on the motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822998003 with a
card like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820214113
for about $20.
A good alternative is a smaller case with 6 bays and two 5 way
SuperMicro cages.  Better for space and drive cooling.
Interesting in this regard is the yy-0221:
http://www.directron.com/yy0221bk.html with 10 3.5" bays (well-cooled,
too - fans mounted in front of 8 of them) and 6 5.25" bays.  This
doesn't leave much room for a power supply, unfortunately - the
Supermicro bays are almost 10" deep, and the case is only 18" deep.
I'll measure when I get home, but suffice it to say that the Enermax
EG651P-VE I have in mine (at 140mm deep, if the manufacturer specs are
correct) is a little on the tight side.  But powerful PSUs aren't
necessarily any deeper - the Silverstone OP750, for example, is only
150mm, which I think would fit fine.

Speaking of cases, I built a system using the Antec P180 - a very unusual case with great disk capacity and cooling. It has since been improved - with the introduction of the P182. Here is a good review (lots of images):

http://www.hi-techreviews.com/reviews_2007/Antec182/P.htm

There is one misleading image here:

http://hi-techreviews.com/reviews_2007/Antec182/IMG_2442.JPG

Note how the main motherboard power wiring harness comes up directy from the power supply compartment. That is how the P180 was designed - the P182 allows for this wiring harness (and other cables BTW) to be routed on the side of the case, i.e., on the motherboard mounting plate - you'll see the large cable ties intended for this here:

http://hi-techreviews.com/reviews_2007/Antec182/IMG_2416.JPG

And a correctly configured P182 build here:

http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/cases/antec-p182/4/

Downsides:
- relatively expensive
- comes with no power supply
- physically large

Upsides:
- great cooling
- allows building a quiet, office friendly, system

Regards,

Al Hopper  Logical Approach Inc, Plano, TX.  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
           Voice: 972.379.2133 Fax: 972.379.2134  Timezone: US CDT
OpenSolaris Governing Board (OGB) Member - Apr 2005 to Mar 2007
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/ogb/ogb_2005-2007/