-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Roch - PAE
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 12:26 PM
To: Roshan Perera
Cc: zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org
Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] ZFS - DB2 Performance

Possibly the  storage is flushing  the write caches  when it
should not.  Until we  get  a fix,  cache flushing  could be
disabled  in  the storage  (ask   the vendor for   the magic
incantation). If that's not forthcoming and if all pools are
attached to NVRAM protected devices; then these /etc/system
evil tunable might help :

In older solaris releases we have

        set zfs:zil_noflush = 1

On newer releases

        set zfs:zfs_nocacheflush = 1

If  you implement this,  Do place a   comment that this is a
temporary workaround waiting for bug 6462690 to be fixed.

About Compression, I don't have the numbers but a reasonable
guess would be that it can consumes  roughly 1-Ghz of CPU to
compress 100MB/sec. This will of course depend on the type
of data being compressed.

-r

Roshan Perera writes:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > I am after some help/feedback to the subject issue explained below.
 >
 > We are in the process of migrating a big DB2 database from a
 >
 > 6900 24 x 200MHz CPU's with Veritas FS 8TB of storage Solaris 8 to
 > 25K   12 CPU dual core x 1800Mhz with ZFS 8TB storage SAN storage
(compressed & RaidZ) Solaris 10.

 > Unfortunately, we are having massive perfomance problems with the new
solution. It all points towards IO and ZFS.