Roshan Perera writes:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > I am after some help/feedback to the subject issue explained below.
 >
 > We are in the process of migrating a big DB2 database from a
 >
 > 6900 24 x 200MHz CPU's with Veritas FS 8TB of storage Solaris 8 to
 > 25K   12 CPU dual core x 1800Mhz with ZFS 8TB storage SAN storage
(compressed & RaidZ) Solaris 10.

200Mhz !? You mean 1200Mhz ;) The slowest CPU's in a 6900 was 900Mhz III Cu.

You mention Veritas FS ... as in Veritas filesystem, vxfs ? I suppose
you also include vmsa or the whole Storage Foundation? (could still be
vxva on Solaris 8 ! Oh, those were the days...)

First impressions on the system is ... well, it's fair to say that you
have some extra CPU power (and then some). The old III 1.2Ghz was nice
but by no means screamers. ( years ago)

 > Unfortunately, we are having massive perfomance problems with the new
solution. It all points towards IO and ZFS.

Yep... CPU it isn't. Keep in mind that you have now completely moved
the goal posts when it comes to performance or comparing performance
with the previous installation. Not only do you have a large increase
in CPU performance, Solaris 10 will blitz 8 on a bad day by miles.
With all of the CPU/OS bottlenecks removed I sure hope you have decent
I/O at the back...

 > Couple of questions relating to ZFS.
 > 1. What is the impace on using ZFS compression ? Percentage of system
 > resources required, how much of a overhead is this as suppose to
 > non-compression. In our case DB2 do similar amount of read's and
 > writes.

I'm unsure as to why a person that buys a 24 core 25K would activate
compression on a OLTP database? Surely when you fork out that kind of
cash you want to get every bang for your buck (and then some!). I
don't think compression was created with the view on high performance
OLTP db's.

I would hope that the 25K (which in this case is light years faster
than the 6900) wasn't spec'ed with the idea of running compression
with the extra CPU cycles... oooh... *crash* *burn*.

 > 2. Unfortunately we are using twice RAID (San level Raid and RaidZ)
 > overcome the panic problem my previous blog (for which I had good
 > response).

I've yet to deploy a DB on ZFS in production, so I cannot comment on
the real world performance.. what I can comment on is some basic
things.

RAID on top of RAID seems silly. Especially RAID-Z. It's just not as
fast as a mirror or stripe when it comes to a decent db workout.

Are you sure that you want to go with ZFS ... any real reason to go
that way now? I would wait for U4 ... and give the machine/storage a
good workout with SVM and UFS/DirectIO.

Yep... it's a bastard to manage but very little can touch it when it
comes to pure performance. With so many $$$ standing on the datacentre
floor, I'd forget about technology for now and let common sense and
good business practice prevail.

 > 3. Any way of monitoring ZFS performance other than iostat ?

Dtrace guru's can comment... however iostat should suffice.

 > 4. Any help on ZFS tuning in this kind of environment like caching
etc ?

As was posted, read the blog on ZFS and db's.

 > Would appreciate for any feedback/help wher to go next.
 > If this cannot be resolved we may have to go back to VXFS which would
be a shame.

By the way ... if the client has already purchased vmsa/vxfs (oh my
word, how much was that!) then I'm unsure as to what ZFS will bring to
the party... apart from saving the yearly $$$ for updates and
patches/support. Is that the idea? It's not like SF is bad...

Nope, 8TB on a decent configured storage unit is not that big _not_ to
give it a go with SVM, especially if you want to save money on Storage
Foundation.

I'm sure I'm preaching to the converted here but DB performance and
problems will usually reside inside the storage architecture... I've
seldom found a system wanting in the CPU department if the architect
wasn't a moron. With the upgrade that I see here... all the pressure
will move to the back (bar a bad configuration)

If you want to speed up a regular OLTP DB... fiddle with the I/O :)

2c