On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, Tomasz Torcz wrote:

> On 10/30/07, Neal Pollack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> I'm experiencing major checksum errors when using a syba silicon image 3114
>>> based pci sata controller w/ nonraid firmware.  I've tested by copying data
>>> via sftp and smb.  With everything I've swapped out, I can't fathom this
>>> being a hardware problem.
>> Even before ZFS, I've had numerous situations where various si3112 and
>> 3114 chips
>> would corrupt data on UFS and PCFS, with very simple  copy and checksum
>> test scripts, doing large bulk transfers.
>
>  Those SIL chips are really broken when used with certain Seagate drivers.
> But I have data corrupted by them with WD drive also.
> Linux can workaround this bug by reducing transfer sizes (and thus
> dramatically impacting speed). Solaris probably don't have workaround.

Might be slightly off-topic for the whole, but _this_ specific thing
(reducing transfer sizes) is possible on Solaris as well. As documented
here:

        http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-2724/chapter2-29?a=view

You can also read a bit more on the following thread:

        http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=6866

It's possible to limit this system-wide or per-LUN.

Best regards,
FrankH.