On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 13:35 +0000, Christian Kelly wrote:
> What I'm suggesting is that the configuration presents a list of pools
> and their ZFSes and that you have a checkbox, backup/don't backup sort
> of an option.

That's basically the (hacked-up) zenity GUI I have at the moment on my
blog, download & install the packages and you'll see - I think getting
that in a proper tree-structure help ? Right now, there's a bug in my
gui, such that with:

 [X] tank
 [ ] tank/timf
 [ ] tank/timf/Documents
 [ ] tank/timf/Music

Selecting "tank" implicitly marks the other filesystems for backup
because of the way zfs properties inherit. (load the above gui again
having just selected tank, and you'll see the other filesystems being
selected for you)

Having said that, I like Calum's ideas - and am happy to defer the
decision about the gui to someone a lot more qualified than I in this
area :-)

I think that when browsing directories in nautilus, it would be good to
have some sort of "backup" or "snapshot" icon (ála the little padlock in
secure web-browsing sessions) to let you know this directory is being
either backed up, and/or included in snapshots.

        cheers,
                        tim

--
Tim Foster, Sun Microsystems Inc, Solaris Engineering Ops
http://blogs.sun.com/timf