-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Calum Benson
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 11:12 AM
To: Darren J Moffat
Cc: Henry Zhang; zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org; Desktop discuss; Christian
Kelly
Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] [desktop-discuss] ZFS snapshot GUI

On 20 Nov 2007, at 15:04, Darren J Moffat wrote:

> Calum Benson wrote:
>> On 20 Nov 2007, at 13:35, Christian Kelly wrote:
>>> Take the example I gave before, where you have a pool called,
>>> say,  pool1. In the pool you have two ZFSes: pool1/export and
>>> pool1/ export/home. So, suppose the user chooses /export in
>>> nautilus and  adds this to the backup list. Will the user be
>>> aware, from browsing  through nautilus, that /export/home may or
>>> may not be backed up -  depending on whether the -r (?) option is
>>> used.
>> I'd consider that to be a fairly strong requirement, but it's not
>> something I particularly thought through for the mockups.
>> One solution might be to change the nautilus background for
>> folders  that are being backed up, another might be an indicator
>> in the status  bar, another might be emblems on the folder icons
>> themselves.
>
> I think changing the background is a non starter since users can
> change the background already anyway.

You're right that they "can", and while that probably does write it
off, I wonder how many really do.  (And we could possibly do
something clever like a semi-opaque overlay anyway, we may not have
to replace the background entirely.)

All just brainstorming at this stage though, other ideas welcome :)

> An emblem is good for the case where you are looking from "above" a
> dataset that is tagged for backup.
>
> An indicator in the status bar is good for when you are "in" a
> dataset that is tagged for backup.

Yep, all true.  Also need to bear in mind that nowadays, with the
(fairly) new nautilus treeview, you can potentially see both "in" and
"above" at the same time, so any solution would have to work
elegantly with that view too.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]            GNOME Desktop Team