On Mon, 7 Jul 2008, Jonathan Loran wrote:
> use ZFS is as nearline storage for backup data.  I have a 16TB server
> that provides a file store for an EMC Networker server.  I'm seeing a
> compressratio of 1.73, which is mighty impressive, since we also use
> native EMC compression during the backups.  But with dedup, we should
> see way more.  Here at UCB  SSL, we have demoed and investigated various

I was going to say something smart about how zfs could contribute to
improved serialized compression.  However, I retract that and think
that when one starts with order, it is best to preserve order and not
attempt to re-create order once things have devolved into utter chaos.

This deduplication technology seems similar to the Microsoft adds I
see on TV which advertise how their new technology saves the customer
20% of the 500% additional cost incurred by Microsoft's previous
technology (which was itself a band-aid to a previous technology).
Sun/Solaris should be about being smarter rather than working harder.

If data devolution is a problem, it is most likely that the solution
is to investigate the root causes and provide solutions which do not
lead to devolution.

For example, if Berkely has 30,000 students which all require a home
directory with similar stuff, perhaps they can be initialized using
ZFS clones so that there is little waste of space until a student
modifies an existing file.

Bob