Justin Stringfellow wrote:
>> Raw storage space is cheap.  Managing the data is what is expensive.
>>

> Not for my customer. Internal accounting means that the storage team gets
> paid for each allocated GB on a monthly basis. They have
> stacks of IO bandwidth and CPU cycles to spare outside of their daily busy
> period. I can't think of a better spend of their time
> than a scheduled dedup.

[donning my managerial accounting hat]
It is not a good idea to design systems based upon someone's managerial
accounting whims.  These are subject to change in illogical ways at
unpredictable intervals.  This is why managerial accounting can be so
much fun for people who want to hide costs.  For example, some bright
manager decided that they should charge $100/month/port for ethernet
drops.  So now, instead of having a centralized, managed network with
well defined port mappings, every cube has an el-cheapo ethernet switch.
Saving money?  Not really, but this can be hidden by the accounting.

In the interim, I think you will find that if the goal is to reduce the
number
of bits stored on some "expensive storage," there is more than one way
to accomplish that goal.
 -- richard