On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, Richard Elling wrote:
> [donning my managerial accounting hat]
> It is not a good idea to design systems based upon someone's managerial
> accounting whims.  These are subject to change in illogical ways at
> unpredictable intervals.  This is why managerial accounting can be so

Managerial accounting whims can be put to good use.  If there is
desire to reduce the amout of disk space consumed, then the accounting
whims should make sure that those who consume the disk space get to
pay for it.  Apparently this is not currently the case or else there
would not be so much blatant waste.  On the flip-side, the approach
which results in so much blatant waste may be extremely profitable so
the waste does not really matter.

Imagine if university students were allowed to use as much space as
they wanted but had to pay a per megabyte charge every two weeks or
their account is terminated?  This would surely result in huge
reduction in disk space consumption.

Bob