Kyle McDonald wrote:
> Tommaso Boccali wrote:
>
>> .. And the answer was yes I hope. we are sriously thinking of buying
>> 48 1 tb disk to replace those in a 1 year old thumper....
>>
>> please confirm it again :)
>>

> In my 15 year experience with Sun Products, I've never known one to care
> about drive brand, model, or firmware. If it was standards compliant for
> both physical interface, and protocol the machine would use it in my
> experience. This was mainly with host attached JBOD though (which the
> x4500 and x4540 are.) In RAID arrays my guess is that it wouldn't care
> then either, though you'd be opening yourself up to wierd interactions
> between the array and the drive firmware if you didn't use a tested
> combination.

In general, yes, industry standard drives should be industry standard.
We do favor the enterprise-class drives, mostly because they are lower
cost over time -- it costs real $$ to answer the phone for a field
replacement request.  Usually, there is a Sun-specific label because
though we source from many vendors and products like hardware
RAID controllers get upset when the replacement disk reports a
different size.

> The drive carriers were a different story though. Some were easy to get.
> Others extrememly hard. There was one carrier that we couldn't get
> separately even when I worked at Sun.

Drive carriers are a different ballgame.  AFAIK, there is no
industry standard carrier that meets our needs.  We require
service LEDs for many of our modern disk carriers, so there
is a little bit of extra electronics there.  You will see more
electronics for some of the newer products as I explain here:
http://blogs.sun.com/relling/entry/this_ain_t_your_daddy

I won't get into the "support" issue... it hurts my brain.
 -- richard