    bf> since the dawn of time

since the dawn of time Sun has been playing these games with hard
drive ``sleds''.  I still have sparc32 stuff on the shelf with
missing/extra sleds.

    bf> POTS line
    bf> cell phone
    bf> You are free to select products from a different vendor.

what?  So, this means he *shouldn't* feel like he's being ripped off
if he buys from Sun?  <blinks>

    bf> Sun's pricing likely reflects the high cost of product
    bf> development, warranty, service, and quality control.

You are talking about cost here, but the pricing reflects ``market
forces''.

The blog makes it sound like Sun engineers have come up with this
sneaky plan to achieve a certain tier of reliability at a tier below
in cost, but what they really mean by low cost is, low cost _to Sun_,
not to customers.  The price you pay is determined by what other
vendors charge for the same tier of reliability---knowing this, while
reading the blog you would already be thinking, ``oh fantastic, a tiny
~$10 chip and a plastic carrier that's practically free, but has
incredible market value.  They've come up with a scheme for ripping me
off.  What smooth and adept capitalists they are!  What merit, what
admiration I have for their schemes!  too bad it helps them, not me.''

If you're a stockholder, get excited about the blogs, but for
customers, without Sun's price list and their competitors' price lists
in front of you, there's apparently not much point in discussing
anything (except maybe, whether we can swap drives out of the tray and
have the thing still work or whether there is some ``sled DRM'' in the
closed-source LSI Logic SATA driver, and how much we save by not
buying a support contract which I assume is pointless after said
swapping).