Torrey McMahon wrote:
> Spencer Shepler wrote:
>
>> On Jul 10, 2008, at 7:05 AM, Ross wrote:
>>

>>> Oh god, I hope not.  A patent on fitting a card in a PCI-E slot, or
>>> using nvram with RAID (which raid controllers have been doing for
>>> years) would just be rediculous.  This is nothing more than cache,
>>> and even with the American patent system I'd have though it hard to
>>> get that past the obviousness test.
>>>

>> How quickly they forget.
>>
>> Take a look at the Prestoserve User's Guide for a refresher...
>>
>> http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/801-4896-11
>>

> Or Fast Write Cache
>
> http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/coll/fast-write-cache2.0

Yeah, the J-shaped scar just below my right shoulder blade...

For the benefit of the alias, these sorts of products have a very limited
market because they store state inside the server and use batteries.
RAS guys hate batteries, especially those which are sitting on
non-hot-pluggable I/O cards.  While there are some specific cards
which do allow hardware assisted remote replication (a previous
Sun technology called "reflective memory" as used by VAXclusters)
most of the issues are with serviceability and not availability.  It
is really bad juju to leave state in the wrong place during a service
event.

Where I think the jury is deadlocked is whether these are actually
faster than RAID cards like
http://www.sun.com/storagetek/storage_networking/hba/raid/

But from a performability perspective, the question is whether or
not such cards perform significantly better than SSDs?  Thoughts?
 -- richard