Well, I'm not holding out much hope of Sun working with these suppliers any
time soon.  I asked Vmetro why they don't work with Sun considering how well
ZFS seems to fit with their products, and this was the reply I got:

"Micro Memory has a long history of working with Sun, and I worked at Sun for
almost 10 years developing Solaris x86.  We have tried to get various Sun
Product Managers responsible for these servers (Thumper) to work with us on
this and they have said no.  We have tried to get Sun's integration group to
work with us (where they would integrate upon customer request, charging the
customer for integration and support), and they have also said no.  They don't
feel there is an adequate business case to justify it as all of the
opportunities are so small."

This is an incredibly frustrating response for all the Sun customers who could
have really benefited from these cards.  Why develop the ability to move the
ZIL to nvram devices, benchmark the Thumper on one of them, and then refuse to
work with the manufacturer to offer the card to customers?

I appreciate Sun are working on their own flash memory solutions, but surely
it's to their benefit and ours to take advantage of the technology already on
the market with years of tried & tested use behind it?