Trying the disks in another machine is a great step, it will eliminate those
quickly.  Use your own cables too so you can eliminate them from suspicion.

If this is hardware related, from my own experience I would say it's most
likely to be (in order):
- Power Supply
- Memory  (especially if ever handled without anti-static precautions)
- Bad driver / disk controller
- Bad cpu / motherboard
- other component

When you get your new board, just set it up for troubleshooting with the bare
minimum components:
- Power supply
- Motherboard
- CPU
- Memory
- Disks
- Power button

Don't even connect the reset switch or the case LED's.  It's by far the
quickest way to eliminate items from suspicion.