On 7/22/08 11:48 AM, "Erik Trimble" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm still not convinced that dedup is really worth it for anything but
> very limited, constrained usage. Disk is just so cheap, that you
> _really_ have to have an enormous amount of dup before the performance
> penalties of dedup are countered.

Again, I will argue that the spinning rust itself isn't expensive, but data
management is.  If I am looking to protect multiple PB (through remote data
replication and backup), I need more than just the rust to store that.  I
need to copy this data, which takes time and effort.  If the system can say
"these 500K blocks are the same as these 500K, don't bother copying them to
the DR site AGAIN," then I have a less daunting data management task.
De-duplication makes a lot of sense at some layer(s) within the data
management scheme.

Charles